Is a Platinum Ring Better Than Gold?


Platinum’s snow white hue makes it the ideal complement to gemstones, yet it is more vulnerable than gold to scratches and wear and tear and platinum vs gold lab grown diamond rings.

Platinum rings often contain alloys of palladium, rhodium and/or iridium; to determine what alloy yours contains simply read its label or inquire with your jeweller.

These alloys are hypoallergenic, which helps lower the chances of allergic reactions like nickel allergies in some individuals. Unfortunately, however, white gold vs platinum they’re heavier and more costly than gold.

It’s more expensive

Platinum rings may cost more than their gold counterparts; however, their increased hardness and durability make them superior choices for holding gemstones more securely.

Platinum stands out as being 90-95% pure, making it hypoallergenic for those with sensitive skin who would typically react badly to white gold’s alloys that often include nickel – an ingredient many are allergic to.

Platinum rings wear differently from white gold; where white gold will eventually turn yellow over time, platinum retains its silvery-white hue for longer and gives off a vintage aesthetic which many appreciate.

Which metal you select ultimately comes down to personal choice and budget considerations. Both platinum and gold offer beautiful, durable pieces for everyday wear that can fit seamlessly into a variety of lifestyles and occasions. If you need help making the decision, working with an honest jeweller is always beneficial – they may even mix and match different metals for a truly customized look!

It’s more durable

Platinum may be harder than gold, but it still requires regular polishing to stay looking its best. Scratches may appear more easily than gold and it should be polished often for maximum shine – though this could cause its surface to look matte or dull over time – though some people see these wear marks as symbolic of their relationship.

Platinum rings tend to be heavier than their gold counterparts and this may be an issue for people with wider rings or who require tight gripping power for them.

Platinum is an exceptionally strong and resilient precious metal, capable of withstanding high amounts of pressure while its density means scratches take time to wear away. Unfortunately, however, this also makes working with platinum more challenging; an expert must set stones into it, increasing overall costs significantly – so always consult your jeweller before making final decisions on this front.

It’s more hypoallergenic

Platinum is a silvery-white premium precious metal known for its exceptional lustre. Highly durable, platinum is an ideal material to be worn every day and set with gemstones for everyday wear and setting fine gemstones.

White gold jewellery is hypoallergenic and will not cause allergic reactions in those allergic to metals like nickel, zinc, and copper – though most white gold rings contain alloyed with these elements and should therefore be avoided by those who know they have an allergy.

Platinum rings contain more pure metal than their gold counterparts; jewellery labelled with “Pt” must contain at least 85-95% pure platinum and can also be alloyed with palladium to increase.

Platinum is an extremely heavy metal that may be more difficult to resize, however many jewellers offer free resizing’s. Over time it may become dulled over time and needs re-dipping every few years for optimal appearance – our Gem Breakfast Chefs recommend choosing a jeweller who specializes in platinum to ensure it looks its best forever!

It’s more malleable

Even though platinum is one of the rarest and most precious metals, it isn’t 100% pure. Most platinum jewellery will be labelled “950 platinum”, meaning that 95% is pure platinum with the remaining 5% being an amalgamation of precious metal alloys like palladium, rhodium or iridium (or commonly base metals such as cobalt).

Platinum rings are generally softer than white gold rings, meaning that they may sustain small scratches over time. Your local jeweller should be able to quickly buff these out to restore your platinum ring’s look as good as new!


However, when considering metal alloys for skin reactions it is essential to think about any possible allergens that might exist in them. Copper can often cause allergic reactions in some people. Furthermore, platinum is less malleable than gold so the jeweller may take longer setting stones into your platinum ring.

Related articles

Latest posts